Sunday, September 9, 2012

New Interactive Environments - Task 1: Web presence overview


Our first task for the New Interactive Environments course is to succinctly describe our experience with personal web publishing tools and social networks.

Ever since I got my first computer with an internet connection, around the age of thirteen,  I have seldom spent a day where I have not sit in front of it. It became increasingly “worst” over the years and nowadays I would say that at least 75% of my awake time is spent in front of a computer, whether the purpose is work, study or leisure. During all this time I have tried many web publishing tools, collaborative tools and social networks, although I usually only stick to the ones I find to be truly useful.

Work/ Study
At work and study projects I've used project management web applications, such as Basecamp and Redmine, which usually include tools such as an issue tracker, a gantt chart, a calendar, a forum and some other tools that enable work project management and collaboration between multiple workers.
I also use wikis and spreadsheets on a regular basis, in order to share information with my colleagues.
To manage my career and web presence work-wise I use tools like Linkedin and about.me.
During my studies I've also used applications such as Moodle, wikis and Mendeley.
Stack Overflow, which is a collaboratively edited question and answer site for programmers, is definitely one of my favorite and it has helped me uncountable times. I find it truly useful.

Leisure
I've created and run some blogs during the past few years, although, unfortunately, I've never really stick to any of them. I've tried Wordpress, Tumblr, Weebly and Blogger, among others.
Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Booking, Penzu, Spotify, Imdb and Wikipedia are some other examples of web tools that I use on a daily basis and undoubtedly make my internet life much easier and pleasant!

No comments:

Post a Comment